Saturday, June 1, 2013

Old School Strength Training with New School Twist

This is a program I had gotten from my high school Offensive Line Coach Robert Koopmann who is probably one of the best offensive line coaches I have been around including the two college offensive line coaches I played for and the one offensive line coach I coached college ball with. I have used on my-self and at various athletic programs I have worked at.  It is pretty simple and have had success with it.  But there are some rules that need to be followed:

  • The program should be used only twice to three times a year.
  • On Bench and Squat use the whole program
  • On Olympic Lifts and Dead lift replace reps of 10 and 8 with 6 (with higher reps with Olympic lifts and Dead Lift it turns it into a Cross Fit workout)  
  • This Rep Scheme should only be used once per week per exercise so an example of this would workout would be:

Monday 

Power Clean*
Upper Back Complex 2 X 8, 1 X Rep Max (If 12 + Reps are acheved then move weight up 5 lbs next week)
  • Horzontal Pull-ups for Linemen and Regular Pull-ups for Skill
  • Y'sT'sI's
  • Dumbbell Bent over Rows
  • Upright Rows
Single Leg Squat 3 X 5-10 reps
100 Yards of Lunges with (95 lbs weeks 1 & 2) (115 Lbs week 3 & 4) (135 week 5 & 6)  

Wednesday

Bench Press*
Olympic Complex 2 X 3, 1 X Rep Max (If 6 + Reps are acheved then move weight up 5 lbs next week)
  • Clean Pulls
  • Hang Clean
  • Over Head Press
  • Push Press

Front Squat 2 X 8, 1 X Rep Max (If 12 + Reps are acheved then move weight up 5 lbs next week)
Dumbbell or Kettle Bell Swings 3 X 10

Friday

Squat*

Tricep Death 
50% of Bench Max (Week 1 & 2 5 Reps) (Week 3 & 4 6 Reps) (Week 5 & 6 7 Reps)
Using 2 X 4 Boards This is Done Super Set Style 
Odd Weeks 
No board, 1 Board, 3 Board, 5 Board, 3 Board, 1 Board, No Board 
Even Weeks
No Board, 2 Board, 4 Board, 6 Board, 4 Board, 2 Board, No Board 


Hex Bar Dead Lift*



8 comments:

  1. Do you have any better versions of the charts? I can't read the numbers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there better pictures of this program? or downloadable ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any better versions of the charts? I can't read the numbers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all who have had the privilege of knowing where to find the best strength training program I have ever came across. I have taken it upon myself to completely rewrite and will re-upload the entire program and share. This program has helped me and many of my clients male insane strength gains with safe and realistic rep ranges. Will find somewhere to share it from and put it on this page for the lucky few who know about this program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tripped when i seen these posted...i first came across these in the Fed Penitentiary in the 90's...referred to as the Texas A&M Strength Charts...they work!!...im now trying to find a more legible copy! Thanks for posting...im getting my old 70yr old ass back on the pile...starting all over...had 435 bench 600 smith squat and 725 rack deads at 210# in my 50's no supplements...time to put muscle memory back to work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.docdroid.net/g8DObTH/elvis-olympic-programming-1-xlsx

      Delete