Friday, November 29, 2013

Transitioning from Position Coach to Offensive Coordinator


This past spring I changed jobs for various reasons the most import was family time I was driving an two hours plus a day in my commute.  I also was coaching two additional sports to go along with being the offensive coordinator.  It really cut into my family time a position coaching position opened up closer to my house fifteen minute commute and no second sport and I had the Athletic Director/ Head Football coach in a couple of my Graduate School classes. So I start attending spring ball, summer seven on seven, and summer strength and conditioning.  After the 4th of July holiday the Offensive Coordinator leaves for another job and I get named the Offensive Coordinator.   Here are the steps that was taken to align our offense and make sure everybody was on the same page.

The Head Coach and I met to go over the offense during this meeting several changes were made.
  • A playbook was developed I used PPT and playmaker pro so if anything happens to me car wreck, I get a head coaching job, brain injury ect. there is something out there for the next guy to build off of.
  • We went to the Tony Franklin wristband system we did convert the positions and one of the colors purple to blue.  We based this off of the number of reasons: the major one being that we had a large number of busts during Spring Practice and Seven on Seven during the summer.
  • Changed the pass protection scheme from Big on Big to a Man Fan protection
  • Had our Offensive Linemen Vertical Set  
  • We installed a screen game which included Jail Break, Slow Screen and and the Fast Screens.  
  • I made sure that we did the following drills every day Noose, Pat-n-Go, Routes on Air and we had at lease 2 screen periods a day.
  • Changed how we went to Trips using our Slot receivers they were better athletes than our Outside receivers and kept them only having to learn one set of routes than a different set of routes on one side
  • I met with James Vint during coaching school and got a great one on one clinic about the Pistol Offense  

Things that we did keep: 
  • We worked Mesh Drill every day had very few dropped balls in the option game.
  • We utilized the Pistol Formation using 30 personnel 
  • We kept the option element to all of our run game there are 4 options on every play (Blog explaining this coming later!) 
  • We had two basic run blocking schemes a zone and a gap scheme.
  • We Two Platooned everybody
Things that needed to be changed for next year
  • I have to do a better job of keeping up with our players lives.
  • We are going to utilize the R4 and C4  from Darren Slack
  • Going to use some silencer concepts from Anthony Pratley 
  • Want to install the Midline 
  • Need to use Wristbands at all levels 7th grade through Varsity we only used them for Varsity and JV this year.  
  • Going to use Gus Malzahn's Fire Alarm Ten Play Menu 
  • Kill our Mesh Route Concept and replace with the Shallow Concept.  
  • Going to install Solid and Counter Screens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment